Starting Your Dishwasher For The First Time
Starting the dishwasher for the first time is a must. this way you will not only become familiar with the new technology, but will also be able to identify problems in the design or installation in time.
The dishwasher is a new technique for most of us and is not yet fully understood. However, few consider this a reason to read the manual before including it. But in vain. A dishwasher is not a TV or an iron that can be used immediately, it requires mandatory testing. And if the manufacturer did not tell about this in the accompanying documents or did not explain it clearly enough, you will find all the necessary information about the first start of the dishwasher on this page.
Are you supposed to run a new dishwasher before first use?
Some parts of the dishwasher can go in factory grease, and during the connection process, small debris could get inside, which subsequently clog the filters. Most of the dirt is removed with a damp cloth, but some are removed only after a dry run. You also need to get acquainted with the kitchen new thing: figure out how much and what means you need to use to get the best result. But all this is just the tip of the iceberg. The main thing is that the first launch will help to check the correct installation and operation of household appliances.
At this stage, the main problems of the dishwasher (if any) may also come to light:
- Correctness of water supply and its complete removal after the end of the cycle;
- Serviceability of heating elements and correctness of temperature settings;
- Efficiency of the drying process.
Be sure to use salt and dishwasher detergent when starting up for the first time. Idle work does not negate the use of special chemicals.
How do I start my dishwasher?
First of all, make sure that the outlet to which the machine is connected is working, and the water supply valve is open – do not rely on the professionalism of the installers or your own good memory. Look into the chamber: check that the spray impeller rotates freely. Remove the filters and rinse them under running water and your usual kitchen detergent. Remove all stickers, wire strands, and shipping liners from the inner walls, and remove the foam balls (they may have crumbled and got inside when unpacking the equipment).
If you have never used a dishwasher before and do not yet understand the range of household chemicals for it, it is better to immediately purchase a starter kit. In it you will find all the necessary tools for the operation of the machine: salt, gel or powder, rinse aid.
After that, you can proceed to the first launch:
- First pull out the lower basket for dishes – in the bottom you will see the saline compartment covered with a lid. It is necessary to pour 300-400 grams of special regenerating salt here (use the wide-outlet funnel that comes with the dishwasher). Do not forget to pour about a liter of clean water into the receiver before this – it will not allow the salt crystals to stick together
- There are compartments for detergents and rinse aid in the door or on the front panel – fill in the required amount and enter the type of selected chemistry into the settings if the model “cannot” recognize it on its own.
- Also, in the memory of the dishwasher, it is necessary to drive the salt supply mode, depending on the hardness of tap water (it can be determined using the test strips that come with the kit). In most models, these settings will have to be restored every time the equipment is left without a power supply for one reason or another.
- You can select the standard wash mode, close the door and do the first start.
Failure to start the dishwasher for the first time
It so happens that there were problems during a test run. But for that, it is also a trial one, in order to identify and fix problems in advance. Let us remind once again that before starting it is necessary to study the instructions for use in order to avoid damage to the machine due to an incorrect sequence of actions:
- The filter is clogged or the hose is kinked. One of the simplest problems that you can easily fix yourself. Ideally, it is better to check all hoses before starting the machine for the first time;
- If an error run appears on the panel, lights flash or warning signals are emitted, the instruction saves again. Look for the error code that appears on the display and try to fix the problem. If the problem is not solved, contact the master or the warranty department of the store that sold you household appliances;
- The program of the machine is stuck in the middle. Most likely, the reason for such a stop is an electronics failure. An old correct trick can help here: disconnect the machine from the electricity for ten to fifteen minutes and try to turn it on again. If this method does not help, you will need a technical support service;
- The appearance of light or dark smoke, the smell of burnt plastic. In this case, immediately unplug the machine’s power cord from the power source. This option indicates major malfunctions of the machine, possibly even improper assembly of the device. Here you should not try to solve the issue on your own, it is better to immediately seek help from professionals.
Important! When buying household appliances, be sure to familiarize yourself with the terms of warranty service and the conditions for obtaining professional assistance.
If the test run went well and did not reveal any problems with the dishwasher, do not rush to load it with dirty dishes and glasses. Let it cool down a little. Salt and rinse aid do not need to be added – they last for a long time, and the detergent must be placed back in the appropriate compartment.
Be sure to clean the dishes from food residues and place them in the dishwasher meshes. Check if it interferes with the free rotation of the spray arm in the chamber. At first, this process will seem too long to you, but soon you will get used to it and will cope with this task faster.
First, start new dishwasher
After the dishwasher has cooled down and dried out, you can start loading the devices. For effective dishwashing, follow these rules:
- Thoroughly clean plates from food debris.
- Place large cutlery (pans, pots) in the lower drawer. Make sure that the dishes do not block the operation of the sprayer. Place the plates in the middle basket. Do not place them side by side, otherwise, they will not rinse well. Place cutlery in the upper compartment.
In many models “Siemens”, “Samsung”, “Ariston” baskets with dishes are adjustable in height, and the holders are folded. Therefore, loading large fixtures is much more convenient.
- Add detergent, rinse aid to the dispenser (if you didn’t do it at the test run). Close the compartment.
- How do I enable the desired program? Take a look at the instructions. Depending on the degree of dirtiness, you can select “Fast cycle”, “Intensive” or “Delicate”. Modern dishwashers have sensors that automatically detect the degree of load and select the optimal program.
- Click on “Start” and wait for the end of the cycle.
The technical specifications indicate whether there is an audible signal after the end of the cycle. This is how the machine notifies the user about the shutdown. Instead of a signal, there may be a “Beam on the floor”. The beam is red during the program and green at the end.
Take out the dishes and rate them according to the following criteria:
- cleanliness, shine, smell;
- drying quality, no streaks.
If there are stains, dirt on the dishes, transparent plates look dull and cloudy, do not rush to blame the typewriter. You need to experiment with loading and detergent. So:
- Incorrect positioning of the plates will result in dirt remaining on the surface.
- The wrong rinse aid has been selected, therefore the glassware is cloudy.
- A strong chemical odor may indicate that the dosage of the detergent powder has been exceeded.
In any manual for the machines “Electrolux”, “Bosch”, “Coopersberg” precautions are indicated. By observing them, you will extend the life of your equipment:
- Do not touch the body of the dishwasher with wet hands after switching it on.
- Do not connect appliances through an extension cord.
- Clean the drain filter after the wash cycle.
- Clean the machine with special cleaning agents every six months.
How do I reset my dishwasher?
There are two easy ways to do this:
- Disconnect the dishwasher from the power supply for 15-20 minutes. This time is sufficient for the Control Unit to reset and restart.
- Press and hold the power button “Power on” for 10-15 seconds. After this action, the vehicle settings are also reset.
The described recommendations are suitable for different brands and models of dishwashers.
Starting Your Dishwasher For The First Time. If you follow our recommendations, the first start of the dishwasher will not be difficult.
See also: Which Dishwasher Is Better 45 Or 60 Cm?