How To Make The Right Choice Between A Kettle And A Thermo Pot?
Choosing a kettle or Thermo pot, it is difficult to immediately say which will be better in one case or another. Both creations of modern developers deserve attention and have undeniable advantages. The correct choice will be based on exactly where the device will be used, how often users need hot water, and how much they consume. Both the first and the second devices are similar only as a result – supplying users with boiling water, but other aspects are significantly different.
- Advantages and disadvantages of electric kettles
- Advantages and disadvantages of Thermo Pots
- Is a water boiler more efficient than a kettle?
- Structural differences between a kettle and a Thermo pot
- Functional features of a kettle from a Thermo pot
- What to buy: kettle or Thermo Pot?
- Basic parameters for choosing a Thermo Pot
- Volume liters of Thermo pot
- A heating element of Thermo pot
- Timer. The heating rate of Thermo pot
- Control Panel of Thermo pot
- Thermopot body
- Filter availability
- Equipment of Thermo pot
- Automatic shutdown
- Durability of Thermo pot
- Shape and weight of Thermo pot
- Which company is better than Thermo Pots
- Expert advice
- How to care for a Thermo Pot
Advantages and disadvantages of electric kettles
The kettle boils water in a matter of minutes, after which it turns off automatically. Depending on the air temperature, the water gradually cools. After 20 – 30 minutes, the liquid will cool down.
Any electric kettle is mobile enough, if necessary, it can be moved from kitchen to room, from one office to another. Its volume, as a rule, is in the range of 0.5 – 3 liters, and the most common among the population is 1.5 – 2.0 liters.
The kettle is recommended for those who need boiling water quickly, here and now. Advantages of teapots:
- The kettle can be used not only for boiling plain water, but also for making hot tea and other drinks, and even for preparing food.
- Neat size and portability. The kettle is easy to move around the kitchen, small incapacity, you can even take with you on the road.
- It works very quickly: it takes only 2-3 minutes from switching on to boiling.
- Convenience and safety. Operated by one button, turns off automatically.
- The kettle cools down quickly.
- High consumption of electricity.
- Risk of scalding from steam or hot cabinet.
The variety of electric kettles is striking: they are made of metal, plastic or their combination, glass and even ceramics.
Advantages and disadvantages of Thermo Pots
Thermo pot is a combined device, a symbiosis of a kettle and a thermos. He knows how not only to boil water but also to keep it hot (about 90 degrees) for a long time.
A Thermo Pot is technically a kettle with multilayer walls (with two reservoirs, one inside the other), a heating element in the classic version, and a control board with many controllers. In general, these devices use thermoregulation in two formats.
- Step regulates the temperature by certain values.
- Continuous provides heating in the temperature range of 60-100 degrees.
The outer casing of Thermo Pots, like ordinary teapots, can be made in a variety of options: from metal, plastic, ceramics, and glass, as well as using different combinations of these materials. The inner bowl is usually thick-walled steel.
Attention: in stores, you can find devices with bowls for heating and cooling. Their principle of operation is similar to that of a cooler.
Thermo pot brings water to a boil and keeps it hot for a long time, at a temperature of 190-203 °F. There are also advantages of this type of device.
- Large volume (usually 3-8 liters).
- Profitability. Energy is consumed only directly for heating.
- Long service life, as high-quality materials are used in the manufacture.
- Good thermal insulation, the body does not heat up from the outside.
- Convenience in use: the electric pump helps to pour water into the cup, no extra effort is needed.
- Hot water is always available.
- In some models, the water temperature can be set.
- Due to the large volume, the water boils slowly.
- Most of the models have low power (up to 0.8 kW).
- Dimensions and weight of the device.
Is a water boiler more efficient than a kettle?
Many are worried about the financial side of the issue, which will be more profitable: a Thermo Pot or a kettle. The thermo-pot boils a large volume of water once and for 10 hours its temperature does not drop below 158 °F, the built-in heating element consumes very little energy, from 30 to 100 W. If you take the average values, you can calculate how much this device will cost the user:
800/4 = 200 W
This is how much Thermo Pot consumes during boiling water. After calculating the heating consumption, it will be about 30 W / h, within 10 hours the consumption will not exceed 300 W. The actual value will be less, because the heating element is periodically turned off.
As a result, an average model will consume about 500 W per day, and a Thermo Pot without a heating function is only 200. But it cannot be argued that it is more economical to purchase a Thermo Pot: the power of some models reaches 1600 W.
The practical energy consumption of the kettle is somewhat higher, despite its small size. Several boils per day will double the consumption compared to a regular Thermo Pot.
1700/12 = 140 W
So many watts are consumed by a 1700 W kettle in just one boil cycle. Everyone will calculate the daily consumption for himself, it all depends on how many times a day the user takes a tea break.
As statistics show, a family of 4 boils a 1.5-liter kettle about 5-6 times, which is about 800 W per day. The difference for the month will be 9 kW, but this is the average statistical data, real figures may differ significantly.
Structural differences between a kettle and a Thermo pot
Knowing the main technical differences between the two devices can influence your choice.
- Electricity for the kettle is needed only for the time when the water boils, the Thermo pot needs a network constantly to supply water and maintain its temperature (of course, there are those models where a manual pump is installed, and the water temperature is maintained not by the built-in heating element, but by dense heat-resistant walls).
- Size and mobility – the Thermo pot loses out on both criteria.
- Almost all Thermo Pots are equipped with a water filter, it needs to be changed once a month/quarter.
- The body of an electric kettle, most often, gets very hot, especially for materials such as glass or metal. Thermo pot is safer – its dense walls retain heat and do not heat up, eliminating the likelihood of injury.
- Some models of the Thermo pot are equipped with two water tanks, in one of them the heating temperature can be adjusted. The device makes it possible to simultaneously pour water at different temperatures, like a cooler.
Functional features of a kettle from a Thermo pot
The budget kettle option does not contain any notable features. Mid-range or premium models boast some very useful additions:
- on timer;
- blocking of switching on without water or from accidental starting (child lock);
- alarm clock, clock;
- thermostat, heating;
- remote control from a mobile gadget.
The Thermo pot is more functional and convenient to use. Even simple models contain at least 3 – 4 thermostat modes.
Additional options include:
- child lock, blocking the inclusion of an empty device;
- regulation of a single portion;
- blocking of the cover when overturning;
- temperature control;
- indicator of water / network / filter / cleaning level;
- additional reservoir.
What to buy: kettle or Thermo Pot?
The Thermo pot will ideally fit into a situation where hot water is needed often or constantly. These are families with small children, where there is a need to breed baby cereals, where there are people who like to drink tea every few hours. The second option is a large family or a whole team.
An electric kettle is suitable for a small family, or a family that only eats breakfast together and goes about their business the whole day. In this case, the cooled water in the kettle will not be a problem for anyone.
If we briefly summarize, then we can advise the following.
- Kettles are more versatile and suitable for more situations.
- It is not worth buying a Thermo Pot in a small room, it takes up a lot of space, it is a large household appliance.
- If the area allows, and frequent moves are not planned, then a Thermo pot is the best solution.
- Thermo pot allows you to adjust the water temperature. This can be important for preparing different types of tea and coffee, baby food.
- If boiling water is not needed all day, then it is better to choose a kettle.
- Thermo pot is great for events like breakfast buffet in a hotel or coffee breaks in the office.
- If mobility is needed, then you should pay attention to miniature teapots. It is convenient to take such a device to the country or on a trip.
Basic parameters for choosing a Thermo Pot
Before deciding on the choice of a model, you need to decide whether a Thermo Pot is generally needed on the farm. If you still need it, then you need to pay attention to all the structural and functional features of the device. Otherwise, there may only be problems with usability, safety, and energy costs.
Also, the size of the device is directly related to the volume of the container. A device with a volume of 5 liters is hardly suitable for a small kitchen. Thermopots with a small volume have a lower mark for the minimum allowable amount of water, which simplifies the process of rapid boiling for a cup of tea.
You also need to take into account that the actual volume of the water tank is slightly less than the one indicated by the manufacturer.
The consumer power of the device is much lower than that of an electric kettle. For boiling water, the maximum power is used up to 1000 watts. To maintain a high temperature – no more than 100 W / h.
Power has little effect on the speed of boiling water. Therefore, it is not always appropriate to buy the most powerful device, because this is an extra waste of electricity.
Volume liters of Thermo pot
For a small family of up to 3 people, it makes no sense to buy a Thermo Pot with a large capacity. This is just an additional cost for the power supply. Also, the water will be infused, which may impair its quality. A device with a flask volume of up to 3 liters is suitable for such a family. If the family is large, and guests in the house are not uncommon, then you can get a device with a volume of up to 7 liters.
A heating element of Thermo pot
Most Thermo Pots have two heating elements. One for boiling, the other for keeping the temperature high. There are 3 types of heaters in total:
- open: a coil that boils quickly and quietly, but needs cleaning;
- closed: heating element, which is hidden in the case and protected from scale formation;
- disc: a heating disc to which two electrical contacts are connected.
Note: a device with an open coil should be cleaned regularly. Scale reduces the life of the Thermo Pot, makes water harmful to the body, and increases the boiling time of the liquid.
Timer. The heating rate of Thermo pot
The boiling time of water directly depends on its volume in the thermo-pot. The boiling time is approximately 5 minutes per liter. water while the kettle needs 2-3 minutes per liter.
The timer allows you to set the water time.
Control Panel of Thermo pot
Thermopot control can be manual or microprocessor-based. Manual allows you to pour water, even when the electricity is turned off. But it is much more convenient to use the automatic control of the water spill.
Also, the control panel can consist of a display and buttons, or a touch screen in more modern models. It is difficult to find a Thermo Pot that is difficult to control. Usually, the type of control for all models is intuitive.
Thermo pots are manufactured in metal, glass, or plastic cases. Some of the prestigious models are made from the wooden case. Metal ones are of higher quality, respectively, more expensive. Instrument casings do not heat up due to safety measures. Which case material to choose is primarily a matter of design choice.
Filters for water purification not only make it drinkable but also eliminate the formation of scale in the tank. This functionality is present in models from the mid-range price category. Electric kettles are not equipped with a filter, which is a great advantage of Thermo Pots over them.
Equipment of Thermo pot
Each Thermo Pot must have the following components:
- outer casing (metal or plastic);
- liquid reservoir (metal or glass);
- heating element for boiling water;
- a heating element for heating cooled water (not for every model);
- thermostat to determine the need for heating water;
- pump for supplying fluid.
More expensive models are equipped with filters, light or sound alarms, timers, and other additional elements for ease of use.
To protect the thermo-pot from early breakdown and ensure the safety of use, an automatic shutdown function is used. After the liquid boils, the sensor reacts to high temperatures and turns off the device.
Some models are equipped with an automatic shutdown function if insufficient water is detected in the tank. This allows not only to protect the device from damage but also to ensure fire safety.
Also, a lot depends on the brand. The most expensive are models from manufacturers such as Samsung, Panasonic, and LG. But a big price is paid not only for the name but for the correspondingly high quality and functionality of the equipment.
Durability of Thermo pot
Glass is fragile. Therefore, such Thermo Pots should be used with extreme caution. The most durable are devices in a metal case.
Thermo pot belongs to durable goods. Panasonic sets a lifespan of up to 7 years for its models. Models of a more harmful price category are usually capable of fully functioning for 5 years.
Attention: the durability of a Thermo Pot depends, in most cases, not on design features, but the conditions of use. If there is a constant care for the device, and the use is wise, then a high-quality Thermo Pot can well last up to 20 years.
Shape and weight of Thermo pot
The shape and weight of the device are personal preferences of the consumer. Housings can be made in the form of a cylinder or rectangle. Some models are concave under the nozzle for easy pouring of water. Most appliances are equipped with a carrying handle.
The heaviest are Thermo Pots made of stainless metal and ceramics. The average weight of the devices becomes 2–3 kg. Weight directly depends on the capacity and the availability of additional functions. Automotive Thermo Pots weigh only about 600 g.
Which company is better than Thermo Pots
Of course, it is better to buy a Thermo Pot from a well-known manufacturer, which has proven itself well in the electrical engineering market for decades. But it is difficult to find a model from well-known brands that are easily accessible financially.
Supra manufactures Thermo Pots in both budget price range and premium products. After all, the device is most often chosen according to material capabilities. Therefore, the companies were conditionally divided into segments of the price category:
- Budget options – Fairy, Polaris, BRAND;
- Mid-range options – Toshiba, Panasonic, Polaris;
- Premium options – Zojirushi, Samsung, Bosch, Panasonic, LG.
It is hardly possible to find a Thermo Pot that meets all the requirements for functionality and economy. When choosing a device, more attention should be paid not to its advantages, but its disadvantages. These disadvantages may include:
- high consumption of electricity;
- the inconvenience of control;
- poor water supply (splashing);
- heating of the case and others.
How to care for a Thermo Pot
Instructions must be included in the complete set of the device. It contains all the features for care and operation. Caring for a Thermo Pot directly depends on its device:
- models with an open heater require regular descaling with acidic agents, and not mechanical action;
- models with a filter require replacement every three months.
Important: models with a closed heating device also need to be descaled. For this, weak acidic solutions are used.
How To Make The Right Choice Between A Kettle And A Thermo Pot?
Very important! It is impossible to pour water into the Thermo Pot from the tap. For this, use any containers. By drawing water from the tap, there is a possibility of water getting into the electronic control unit, which will disable the thermo-pot.