How To Defrost The Freezer Quickly And According To The Rules?
The main assistant in the kitchen from household appliances for every housewife is, of course, the refrigerator. He is responsible for the preservation of the quality of products and ready meals. But by opening the refrigerator door to take the food we need, we allow warm air to enter there, which, when it comes into contact with the ice stream, forms steam.
Subsequently, due to this process, ice forms on the surface of the freezer. During a certain period, it becomes difficult to push the container out due to the formed excess ice layer.
Therefore, one of the main conditions for caring for refrigerators is defrosting the freezer. Let’s figure out how to quickly defrost the freezer and consider ways to preserve the quality of food during defrosting.
How to handle food when defrosting the freezer?
Before defrosting the freezer compartment, you must remove food from its containers. To preserve their quality and prevent them from defrosting while waiting for the ice to thaw in the freezer, frozen foods can be left in the same containers, overlaid with pre-frozen ice. If there is such an opportunity, then you can contact your neighbors with a request to provide you with a small space in your refrigerator for a while.
In winter, of course, it is easier to solve this situation: you just need to take the food out onto the balcony or veranda.
Freezer quick defrost method
Today the range of refrigerators and freezers is very large. Therefore, we propose to consider how to properly defrost the freezer using the example of the Atlant refrigerator with the classic defrosting method.
- First of all, if there is a switch, you just need to turn off the refrigerator, in case of its absence, you need to disconnect the power cord from the power supply.
- Make sure there is a drip tray at the bottom of the freezer and it is correctly installed.
- Next, you will need to open the freezer door. This will start to thaw the ice. In this process, you will need to have in your arsenal a sufficient number of rags, old bath towels, and soft sponges are perfect. In any case, it will not be superfluous to put a large rag or a large towel on the floor under the freezer to prevent meltwater from getting on the floor surface. It is recommended to monitor the defrosting process, regularly removing ice that has come off the walls of the chamber, and also to monitor the water level in the pan. Use a sponge to wipe the already cleaned areas.
- It will not be easy to remove ice in the upper compartment where the cooling tubes are located. It is from this area that you should start defrosting the freezer since here the ice melts longer. To begin with, you can walk with a sponge, having previously moistened it in hot water. By treating the surface with warm water, we let the holes of the mesh free up a little from the thick adhesion of ice, and with the help of a hairdryer, hot air reaches the cooling pipes themselves.
- When most of the ice mass has been removed, you will need to work a little more with the hairdryer, directing it to the places where the adhering unfrozen frost is most common. As soon as it melted a little, we take a wooden spatula and carefully pried on the so-called “ice coat”.
- We remove the pieces of ice that have fallen off either in the sink or in a prepared basin. We repeat this procedure until we completely free the chamber walls from ice.
- Then make a soapy solution with dishwashing detergent and start cleaning the freezer. In the end, thoroughly wipe the chamber to remove all moisture and wipe it dry with a clean towel.
How not to do it when defrosting the freezer?
You will find many tips on how to defrost your freezer quickly on the forums. These express methods can not only damage the walls of the compartment but also lead to leakage of freon and serious damage.
- do not try to break off pieces of ice – some people try to use tools such as a crowbar or even a hatchet to remove ice. Removing ice in this way is more likely to damage the equipment in the refrigerator;
- do not use too high a temperature of the water – removing ice with boiling water will not be much more effective than using just warm water. But you will probably harm the device;
- do not try to defrost the ice of the refrigerator together with the food – in this case, when removing the ice, moisture will remain on the food itself, which in the future will only lead to a repetition of the problem;
- do not start fighting ice without first turning off the refrigerator – if the device continues to work with the door open, it will quickly become unusable. In addition, disconnecting the device from the network during defrosting is also required in connection with the usual safety precautions when working with electrical appliances;
- do not sprinkle the ice with salt – it will, of course, remove some of the ice, but the salt particles are harmful to the refrigerator equipment, and it is unlikely that you can use it to remove all the ice on the device;
- do not use the heat effect of the hairdryer – if you want to speed up the process with an electrical appliance, it is better to use a regular fan or hairdryer in cold air mode.
Can you pour hot water to defrost a freezer?
Much has been written on the Internet these days about ways to quickly defrost a refrigerator. It would seem convenient. But just putting very hot water in the refrigerator is very dangerous.
Even though this is a great relief for the hostess in her housework, it is not worth doing this, because the coating of the camera can damage the bottom of the container with boiling water. Moreover, for seals and electronics, hot steam is simply destructive. All these structures and devices will fail faster.
How often should the freezer be defrosting?
Of course, each manufacturer indicates such moments in the operating rules, but many simply pay attention to it. To avoid sticking a too thick layer of frost and thereby not overload the device, on average, it is enough to defrost the freezer 1-2 times a year.
But, if the level of humidity in the apartment or room is high, then this procedure may have to be repeated more often. In any case, observing the simple rules of operation and maintenance of the refrigerator compartment, you will let your freezer serve you for many years to come.
How to care for your refrigerator with the No Frost system
If the refrigerator is equipped with an automatic defrosting system No Frost, then you do not have to specially defrost either the refrigerator or the freezer. In such devices, food is cooled by the air circulation system, and excess moisture is removed outside.
But for the refrigerator to serve longer, it does not create an unpleasant odor and does not multiply bacteria, you need to wash both the refrigerator and the freezer at least once a year. To do this, follow all the recommendations for cleaning conventional refrigerators and freezers.
How To Defrost The Freezer Quickly And According To The Rules?
A system has not yet been invented that does not require defrosting at all. Technologies are developing every day, perhaps soon manufacturers will relieve housewives of this responsibility. Until then, follow the recommendations of the experts.