How to choose the right baking sheet for your oven?
The process of cooking for a real housewife is creativity. And every creative process is characterized by attention to detail. A baking sheet in the kitchen is the most important detail, an accessory, without which it is impossible to cook most of the most delicious dishes. When wondering how to choose a baking sheet for your oven, you are choosing the opportunity to create an environment conducive to culinary exploits.
- Types of trays
- Trays subdivided by material of manufacture
- Trays are divided according to purpose
- Trays can be divided according to size
- How to choose a tray for baking and roasting in the oven?
- What is the best cookie sheet to bake cookies on?
- Which oven trays are best – light or dark?
- 5 oven tips to bake like a professional
Types of trays
Baking trays for ovens are usually rectangular, their sides can be of different heights depending on the model. Modern devices are not as heavy as in the days of our grandmothers, and the variety of materials from which they are made allows you to choose the model that best suits you.
Trays subdivided by material of manufacture
They are very beautiful in design, perfectly complement any interior, however, they are not very practical to use. It is quite easy to break them, and given the high cost of glass options, it can be assumed that not every housewife can afford such a choice. Before putting such a device in the oven, it must be warmed up.
This is due to the inability of glass to withstand temperature extremes, and therefore, it can simply crack. The models can be used very neatly at home, but they are completely unsuitable for catering establishments. Among the undoubted advantages is the ability to maintain the temperature of the cooked dish for a long time. One of the manufacturers of such models is Gorenje.
Made of stainless carbon steel trays
A special “food grade” steel is used, and therefore their use is safe. The most common model, practical to operate. They are very easy to wash, they are affordable, they do not change the taste of the dish, and they lend themselves well to cleaning.
The best selection of large industries, professional chefs and ordinary housewives. Inexpensive, provided with a non-stick coating, the peculiarity of the material allows you to give any shape. They are wonderful conductors of heat, and therefore food is cooked very quickly, the low weight of the product makes it easy to use and allows you to carry finished products anywhere without taking them out of the mold.
A relatively recent discovery that quickly entered everyday life. Such baking sheets can withstand high temperatures (up to 280 degrees), while being very compact and easy to use, since they do not burn your fingers when you take them out of the oven. Another advantage is that there is no need for lubrication before cooking. At the same time, the baked goods are perfectly baked, and foreign odors do not permeate the container.
Cast iron trays
Most likely, we inherited from our ancestors. Now such trays are practically not produced. They are very heavy, however, it is worth noting the fact that cast iron is practically eternal. Therefore, you should not delete this option from the scope of practical application, some dishes are ideal for cooking in them.
It is believed that the walls of such trays “breathe”. Thanks to this, all the products that are used retain almost all of their useful properties, since the food is cooked in a simmering mode. Ceramics do not emit harmful substances when exposed to high temperatures. However, its porous structure promotes rapid destruction when liquid enters microcracks.
They are produced with a non-stick coating, the product does not stick to such a baking sheet and retains an excellent appearance. The complexity of use lies in the need for careful care of the thing.
Trays are divided according to purpose
They differ from each other in the height of the sides. To bake cakes or cookies, use baking trays with low sides, for multi-layer cakes and pies – high-sided ones. High-breasted pieces of Gorenje are very popular in professional kitchens.
You need such a baking sheet if you are going to grill meat in the oven. It can also be used in the preparation of French fries or any other food you would normally fry in a skillet.
Yes, this is a special baking sheet with a special design that allows air to circulate freely. This makes the pizza crispy and properly baked.
Used for baking bread. Due to the structure, the surface of the finished product acquires a relief, which makes such a product more attractive.
For grilled chickens.
The structure of such products allows you to cook several chickens at the same time (up to eight).
Trays can be divided according to size
There are different sizes of oven trays, the most common ones are described here.
- Full size – 18 * 25 inches, intended for commercial use.
- Half – 18 * 13 inches, universal, but more often also used in commerce, and not in everyday life.
- Quarter – 9 * 13 inches, ideal for home use.
Among the most famous manufacturers are Bosch, Elextrolux, Gorenje, Miele, Pyrex.
How to choose a tray for baking and roasting in the oven?
To prepare food in the oven, it is important to choose the right baking sheet. There are several points to look out for when buying.
- A baking sheet with a lid is convenient. Many dishes need to be cooked covered to ensure an even distribution of heat and humidity. You can do with foil, but it is more convenient to use the “native” cover.
- The quality of the coating plays a leading role. It should be not only non-stick, but also vandal-proof: strong and thick.
- For buns and biscuits, it is more convenient to use a baking sheet with a low side. For pies and compound dishes (for example, meatballs in sauce), a form with high sides (at least 2.5 cm) is ideal.
- The baking sheet should look good: be of good quality material with good coverage. A thin baking sheet of unknown origin will not last long.
- On sale you can find baking trays with perforated bottom. Most often they are round, intended for pizza. This feature allows the dough to be baked quickly and evenly and not “sour” from the resulting condensation.
- For grilling dishes, such as chicken or vegetables, a double bottom structure is required: the first with perforation or in the form of a lattice to drain excess fat and the second – a tray for collecting this very fat.
Tray with perforated bottom
Aluminum baking trays
Are the ideal choice for dishes that are cooked over high heat in a short amount of time. First of all, these are biscuits, cookies and muffins. It heats up quickly, distributes heat evenly, and therefore ensures even baking of the dough from all sides. To prolong the life of aluminum molds, confectioners advise washing them by hand with non-aggressive dish detergents.
Aluminum is the best conductor of heat (besides copper), and therefore it copes better with quality cooking than stainless and carbon steel. Aluminum baking trays quickly absorb heat and also quickly lose it, so you don’t have to wait long for the dishes to cool down. The rapid loss of heat prevents burns and, in the case of biscuits, is a big plus.
If you decide to buy an aluminum baking sheet, be sure to use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Otherwise, food will stick to metal and burn. Confectioners call the best companion of aluminum baking trays silicone mats.
They do not melt, withstand heating up to + 240 °, completely hygienic and safe. Can be used countless times. They do not emit toxic substances and do not impart a chemical flavor to the liver. They also make life easier for housewives, since you do not have to spend precious free time cleaning trays.
Among the minuses: aluminum cookware without a special protective coating reacts with acidic foods. If you want to avoid this drawback, buy baking trays made of anodized aluminum. They can be used to bake dough containing acidic ingredients.
Stainless steel baking trays
Are the best choice for crispy caramelized meats or for baking sour dough ingredients. Items are dishwasher safe. Stainless steel does not rust, does not react with the contents, is strong and durable. But steel baking trays cannot distribute heat evenly like aluminum.
Carbon steel baking trays
Are used in many restaurant kitchens. They are made from untreated thick steel, and therefore are much stronger and more durable than aluminum. Carbon steel baking trays are ideal for baking breads, pies, cakes, casseroles, biscuits and other desserts. Steel dishes are cleaned with hot water and a soft brush.
Carbon steel can maintain both high and low temperatures for a long time. It serves for many years and is an excellent heat conductor. Untreated material requires a seasoning like cast iron, and therefore it is best to choose cookware with a non-stick coating.
The aluminized steel baking tray
Is a relatively new product on the confectionery accessories market. Aluminum-silicon coated steel combines the advantages of two metals. It has strength and the ability to quickly and evenly distribute heat. Confectioners advise to cook on such baking sheets at low or medium temperatures.
Aluminized steel is a favorite of professional bakers because it bakes and browns baked goods evenly and lasts for years. The only thing is that, together with aluminum, such dishes became vulnerable to acidic foods. Well, the price of such products is much higher than other options.
Glass oven dishes
Are best for casseroles, stews, and acidic foods. This material is dishwasher safe. When it comes to baking, glass is a poor heat conductor. For cakes, cookies, and tarts, metal works best.
Heat up slowly and evenly, do not react with food. Suitable for baking pasta, casseroles, English bread pudding, pies. Ceramics can darken sweet baked goods.
Aluminum is the best baking material for perfect desserts because it distributes heat quickly and evenly. Combined with steel, you get durable cookware that is resistant to deformation and dents. For your ideal baked goods, choose aluminum – cast or anodized, carbon steel for pizza, biscuits and bread, or a mixture of aluminum and steel.
Which oven trays are best – light or dark?
Many housewives do not even suspect that the color of the metal affects the quality of baking.
Light baking trays are the best choice for foods that do not need to roast the base, such as biscuits and cakes. This is because light-colored bakeware absorbs less heat and cannot brown the dough as darker.
Dark oven trays quickly absorb and distribute heat, browning baked goods well. Ideal for crisp dishes such as pizza and cornbread.
The darker the metal, the more browned the cake. Therefore, you can choose pastry accessories depending on your personal preference. If you like light baked goods, choose baking trays made of light metal. But if you want to get a strong blush in the light form, just increase the temperature by 5 ° and check the degree of doneness of the cake 10 minutes before the time indicated in the recipe.
How to choose the right baking sheet for your oven?
5 oven tips to bake like a professional
- Do not open the door. We are sure that you constantly open the oven door to see how a cake or cookie feels there. However, professional bakers call this the most common and gross mistake. Opening the doors drastically lowers the temperature, causing the dough to drop (the pie is not high and fluffy, but flattened), and other foods take longer to cook.
- To make the chicken, goose or turkey juicy, spread the butter generously on the bird anddo not open the door for the time specified in the recipe. Otherwise, it will turn out dry and tough.
- Do not overfill the oven. Baking trays and forms should not touch the walls of the oven and fill all its space. The hot air must be fully circulated to ensure even cooking. Make sure there is a 5 cm distance between the forms on the wire rack.
- For an even baked cake,place the dough pan in the center of the wire shelf.
- Keep the spirit space clean. Crumbs and drips at the bottom of the oven burn, smoke and interfere with normal cooking. The oven overheats and the baked goods are covered with soot.