Features Of The Choice And Use Of A Citrus Press
Juices squeezed from citrus fruits at home are not only very tasty but also healthy drinks. They saturate the body with nutrients and vitamins, giving a charge of vivacity and strength, which is enough for the whole day.
If you think that it is much easier to buy ready-made juice in the store, then it is not. Often, such a drink is made from concentrate and does not have useful properties, like its freshly squeezed counterpart.
To make the process of making juice at home quick and easy, you need to purchase a quality citrus press. In this article, we will take a closer look at the features of the models that are on sale, learn how to choose and use them correctly.
Types of citrus press
Among the whole variety of models of juicers, there are such types of such a product.
- The manual citrus press is easy to use. To get freshly squeezed juice, you need to cut the citrus into two halves. The cut part is attached to the nozzle. In the process of scrolling the handle, the juice is squeezed out.
- A mechanical citrus press is a very popular model because this type of kitchen appliance allows you to get a large amount of juice in a short time interval. In addition, you can squeeze out almost all the liquid from the citrus.
- Screw juicers are electrical household appliances. In the course of their functioning, they carry out rubbing fruits or vegetables. In this case, the juice and pulp are placed in different compartments.
- Citrus spray – a similar product can be attached directly to the fruit, squeezing the juice out of it, by analogy with a spray bottle.
- Squeezer – manual juicer for obtaining juice from citrus fruits in a small volume. Often used for professional use in bars to get a portion of freshly squeezed juice for making one cocktail.
There are several options for squeezing juice from citrus fruits.
- Squeezer, shaped like a familiar food processor attachment. Structurally, such a device looks like an inverted ribbed cone, which is installed on a sieve with a tray. Such a product fits easily in the hand, it has two small handles located on both sides of such a kitchen appliance. It can be either plastic or stainless steel.
- A squeezer that functions similarly to a garlic press. Often made from plastic. In its appearance, it resembles 2 spoons differing in diameter, which are fastened to the side of the case opposite to the handles. In the process of pressing, the upper part of the squeezer passes into the lower element. There are products on the market that differ in the diameter of the working elements.
- Squeezer, in appearance resembling a ball flattened from the vertical part, consisting of metal spirals. Such an openwork kitchen appliance looks like a lemon that has been stretched out in height. It can be easily screwed into the pulp of the fruit. By pressing on the top of the lemon, you get freshly squeezed juice. The disadvantage of such a product is that you need to apply considerable force to get the juice, and also during the squeezing process, the liquid is sprayed and can get on your hands and clothes.
- A plastic product made in the form of a flat slice, which was installed in a vertical plane. There is a pressing of citrus in the upper part. This transparent squeezer model looks very impressive.
- Squeezer made of stainless steel. It consists of 2 figured plates with perforation. They are fixed on one side and freely diverge from the opposite. It is necessary to press such a device by the handles. In terms of function and appearance, such a squeezer is similar to a garlic press. Such kitchen products are most often used by bartenders, as they are reliable and easy to use. A similar product is also called citrus tongs.
How to choose a citrus press?
When choosing a particular model of a citrus press, you should pay attention to several parameters.
- The material of which the body of this appliance is made. It can be either plastic or metal. The press, which is distinguished by a metal case, will last you much longer, but it is more difficult to maintain since it is not so easy to wash off fruit residues. The most commonly used metal is stainless steel or aluminum. Plastic products are characterized by greater fragility, but they are much easier to clean from contamination. Be prepared for the fact that a metal product will weigh much more than a plastic counterpart.
- Complete set – the best option is the presence of several nozzles that allow you to squeeze the juice from both fruits and vegetables.
- Rotating element. Pay attention to the material from which it is made. It is better to give preference to stainless steel since such a device will break less often and have a longer service life.
- Dimensions. If your kitchen is rather modest in size, then it is better to choose a more compact model, because in this case, you can easily place it. Please note that massive products are not only more difficult to hide from prying eyes, they also have a decent weight, so it will be more difficult to carry them from place to place.
- Trademark. Be prepared for the fact that products from a well-known brand will cost much more, but such manufacturers also guarantee the high quality of their household appliances.
How to use a citrus press?
Depending on the type of citrus press chosen, the process of using it will differ. If you are using manual juicers to extract juice, then you need to cut the citrus into 2 halves.
One of them must be attached to the cone-shaped part of the manual juicer with the cut part down. Next, you need to press on it with force, while scrolling. The amount of freshness received will depend on the efforts made.
Using a lever press, you should place half of the citrus on a cone-shaped nozzle. By pressing the lever, you act on the peeled fruit, which was fixed on the bottom of the nozzle.
In this case, you can observe how the juice is squeezed out. A lattice plate is installed for the filter, its main purpose is to separate the pulp. Ready fresh flows into a special tank, which is located at the bottom. To get 1 glass of freshly squeezed juice, you need to do only 1-2 movements.
In appearance, screw juicers are very similar to a manual meat grinder. The main element is a spiral screw, consisting of sharp blades. By turning the side handle, you will set in motion the auger part of the mechanism, which will push the pulp to the hole for the cake.
Fresh flow through the lattice base and enters a special container. This technology allows you to crush even the bones of a pomegranate. Therefore, you can get an unusual pomegranate juice with an original aftertaste.
The best citrus press models
Let’s take a closer look at the most popular citrus fruit press models from various brands.
This model is made in the USA and has a decent weight of 7.8 kilograms since a similar product is made of stainless steel and cast iron. A distinctive feature of such a press is the expanded base and the presence of a sieve. Thanks to the lever transmission, it is much easier to squeeze the juice from citrus fruits and pomegranate.
This juicer is produced by the famous American company Fokus. According to the principle of operation, such a model is similar to the above product. Differs in less weight in 7 kilograms. The manufacturer gives a guarantee of 6 months for the mechanical part of such a product.
This press is made in Italy. This household appliance is characterized by a cast-iron body, and the cone is made of stainless steel. Thanks to this, such a juicer has a long service life and breaks less often. Often such a hand press is used to get orange, lemon, or grapefruit fresh.
Juicer for professional use in bars, cafes, and restaurants. It is used to make fresh oranges, tangerines, grapefruits, and pomegranates. The body of this product is made of die-cast aluminum.
The package for such a device includes a container for fresh juice, a cone-press, and a nozzle made of stainless steel. The removable parts can be washed in a dishwasher. The main advantages of such a product include the automatic function of turning on the clamping lever.
This professional device is used to squeeze fresh citrus fruits in various cafes, bars, and restaurants. This press is made of stainless steel, so it is durable and long service life and is also resistant to corrosion. It is very easy and simple to use. Due to its small dimensions, it does not take up much space.
This kitchen press is made in Mexico. It is made from food-grade aluminum. You will be able to squeeze juice from citrus that is about 8.5 centimeters in diameter. The process of obtaining fresh occurs as in conventional lever presses.
Features Of The Choice And Use Of A Citrus Press
Now you know how to choose the right citrus fruit press and you can easily choose the model that suits you, delighting yourself and your loved ones with freshly squeezed juice.