Choosing A Roaster, Tips For Choosing A Mini Oven For The Kitchen
Roasters are also called mini ovens. Despite its small size, the roaster is a device that will help the hostess quickly fry meat or fish, make hot sandwiches or toasts.Depending on the equipment of the model, the device can perform other useful actions:
- defrost food;
- reheat prepared food;
- perform the functions of a grill;
- provide baking of pizzas and pies.
Mini oven design
Many models of roasters with their external design resemble a familiar oven. Therefore, a small-sized electric frying device can also be called an oven or a mini-oven.
The roaster is based on electric quartz heating elements housed in a metal case with a glass door. The form factor of the device case can be made in any style, embodied by the manufacturer:
- a parallelepiped with a square or rectangular bottom and top;
- truncated pyramid or cone;
- in the form of a cylinder or a ball.
The inner surface of the device is made of stainless steel or heat-resistant ceramic and has a non-stick coating. The working volume is different for different roaster models.
- Mini ovens with a volume of 5-6 liters are perfect for sandwiches and toasts in the morning.
- Medium-sized devices up to 14-20 liters are optimal for cooking baked dishes for a family of 3-4 people.
- Large volume roasters up to 35 liters or more are already fully functional models. They can be equipped with equipment like a convection oven.
Depending on the size and functionality, these devices are appropriate for use in the kitchen of an ordinary or small apartment, in the country house, in a country house, or hostel.
Complete set of roasters
Models in different price categories have from 1 to 4 heating elements. If it is alone, then it is always located at the bottom of the case. When the roaster has two heating elements, they are opposite each other: usually from the bottom and the top, but there are models with side-mounted heaters.
The appliance door can be metal with a small glass insert or completely made of heat-resistant glass.
Most models are equipped with a removable metal grill. The set with the roaster can include metal trays with high or low sides. It is good when the device is equipped with a removable tray for collecting crumbs and dripping fat. Devices, as a rule, are equipped with a timer that signals the passage of a certain time interval. Advanced household appliances are equipped with a thermostat that monitors the temperature regime.
Some models of roasters can be equipped with additional accessories that expand the functionality of the device.
- Fans that provide an even distribution of hot air throughout the frying chamber of the device (convection function).
- Grill and skewer for him.
- Switch for operating modes of heating elements – one or all of them can be activated. Thus, the temperature regime is regulated (from 140 °F to 530 °F).
- Regulator of working time (from 15 to 120 minutes depending on the model).
- Touch screen for easy control of the device.
Though not the most advanced device with manual control, the hostess is subject to a lot. The roaster can be used to prepare the following dishes:
- sandwiches, toasts and hot sandwiches;
- casseroles and pizza;
- baked vegetables and fruits;
- meat steaks;
- baked fish and seafood;
- stews and cereals.
Differences between the roster and other devices of a similar purpose
Many users do not understand how the roaster differs from other kitchen appliances. So, for example, it resembles both an electric oven and a microwave oven. But there is a tangible difference between them.
Roasters and ovens are structurally and functionally similar household appliances. The roaster differs from the electric furnace in size and connection. To place the oven in the kitchen, you will need sufficient space.
If the oven is gas, to connect it, you need to bring gas into the room; for the electric brother, you need to organize a convenient and safe connection to the household power supply.
The roaster, which is significantly smaller in size, is convenient for its mobility. A multifunctional household appliance can be easily rearranged to any place convenient for operation, taken with you to the country. In a small kitchen, where it is not possible to connect a traditional oven, the advantages of using a roaster are obvious.
Both options are close in functionality and have modest dimensions. Their main difference is the different principles of thermal effect on products. The microwave oven is heated by high-frequency magnetic radiation.
Users note the versatility of microwave ovens: in it, you can fry and bake, cook and stew, quickly reheat the first and second courses, and defrost food. In terms of functionality, even the most advanced roaster with additional accessories is inferior to the microwave. Therefore, the microwave oven is more expensive than most roaster models.
It is difficult to say with certainty which is better – a roaster or a microwave. Each buyer is guided by their needs and budgetary possibilities.
General guidelines for choosing a roster
The choice of any household appliance should be approached carefully to choose the best option with all the necessary parameters and functions. When buying a roaster, it is important to consider the following criteria:
- Power. This is one of the most important parameters, choosing which it is necessary to focus on how the roster will be used. If the device is necessary for the full preparation of various dishes, then it is worth choosing equipment with a power of 2.5-3 kW. If the roaster is needed only for warming up and making sandwiches, then a power of up to 700-900 watts is enough.
- The volume of the chamber. The amount of food that can be cooked in the roaster depends on this indicator. The minimum volume is 5-6 liters. Such devices are very compact, but you can cook in them only a dish for 1-2 people. For a family of 3-4 people, a 15-25 liter mini oven is suitable. The roaster volume can be up to 40 liters. In large units, you can bake a large amount of food, whole poultry. The size of the device directly depends on the volume of the chamber.
- Coverage of the camera. The chamber inside can be metal, enamel, or ceramic. The first option is cheaper, but it loses its original appearance faster. When choosing a metal coating, you should focus on stainless steel – it is safe and reliable.
- Timer. It is important to pay attention to the maximum time that can be set using the timer. For simple models, this indicator is minimal – up to 20-30 minutes. More functional options are designed for cooking times up to 120 minutes.
These are the basic parameters that must be taken into account when choosing a roster. You should also pay attention to the additional capabilities of the technique, which will provide more comfortable use of it:
- automatic shutdown;
- sound notification;
- protection from children;
- cold door;
- removable heating elements (easy to clean);
- tray for crumbs;
- additional accessories (spit, baking sheet, wire racks, forms).
It is worth exploring all the capabilities of the selected device and deciding on the necessary options. The cost of equipment also changes from the number of functions, so you should not overpay for unnecessary additions.
Mini oven care
Mini ovens are attractive because they can be installed in any corner of the kitchen with access to the electrical network. The device must be installed according to the rules. This includes adjusting the legs, keeping the distance from the wall and other appliances.
In operation, the roasters are quite simple, but they require some care since fat and other particles of the prepared food invariably get on the walls of the device. When caring for equipment, it is important to observe the following rules:
- when cleaning the roaster, be sure to disconnect it from the electrical network and wait until the device has completely cooled down;
- do not use abrasive compounds to clean both the inner and outer surfaces of the device;
- all removable parts can be washed with running water, after which they must be dried;
- the inner surface should be cleaned with neutral agents, as their residues can get into the food being cooked.
Choosing A Roaster, Tips For Choosing A Mini Oven For The Kitchen
Roasters are quite versatile and compact. They work from electricity, so this technique is suitable for both home and summer cottages. A large assortment and a wide range of prices allow you to find a suitable option for any consumer. When choosing a unit, it is important to take into account the basic parameters and additional functions.