Can I Grind Something Other Than Coffee In A Coffee Grinder?
Whether your grinder is manual or electric, it has only one function – grinding coffee. But our people are so smart that they instantly expanded the functionality of this device. For what other purposes a coffee grinder is used, what, in addition to coffee, you can grind in it, and how its misuse will affect the device – we will consider below.
- Which model of coffee grinder is suitable for grinding?
- What can you grind with a rotary grinder?
- How rotary coffee grinders work?
- What can be grinded in a burr coffee grinder?
- What can you grind in a manual coffee grinder?
- Can a coffee grinder be used to grind spices?
- Can I grind rice in my coffee grinder?
- What cannot be grinded in a coffee grinder?
Which model of coffee grinder is suitable for grinding?
In theory, a grinder can grind anything that fits. But is it possible to do this in practice? When buying a device in a store, pay attention to the instructions attached to it. In it, the manufacturer indicates that it is still possible to grind besides coffee.
If you have been using a coffee grinder for more than a year, and there is no way to study the instructions, you risk ruining the coffee grinder by using it for other purposes.
The most versatile is the millstone coffee grinder. Using it, you can adjust the amount of grinding. After all, some products need to be ground into powder, and when grinding others, coarse grinding should be achieved.
You can also use an electric knife grinder. But a certain device model should be considered separately. It all depends on the quality of the knives and the power of the device.
What can you grind with a rotary grinder?
The most common option for home use is an electric coffee grinder with rotary knives. Another name for such a coffee grinder is a knife. This is a fairly simple and compact device, the design of which provides for one or two cutting blades. Depending on the price category, they can be either removable or stationary. If you plan to use it for improper use that goes beyond the preparation of coffee powder prescribed by the instructions, then it is preferable to opt for the first configuration.
Important! Models with fixed blades are difficult to clean. Therefore, gourmets are not advised to use them for anything other than the immediate task. This precaution is due to the tendency for the accumulation of foreign odors, as well as food particles stuck in hard-to-reach places. This may not have the best effect on the taste of the future drink.
How rotary coffee grinders work?
Rotary coffee grinders are based on the rotating action of steel blades, which are produced at the same speed to cut the beans. In this case, the size of the fraction depends on the exposure time: the longer, the finer. The device is activated by intermittent pressing of the button on the lid. Thus, you can independently adjust the grinding value.
However, you should be careful not to burn the coffee, as during prolonged operation the mechanism gets very hot and can carbonize the contents of the container. This can be determined by the haze emanating from under the lid, as well as the excess bitterness of the brewed coffee.
Alternative uses of rotary coffee grinders
For alternative uses, it is not advisable to immerse dense foods such as lump sugar, chunks of rock salt, and selected legumes in the knife model. Unlike a millstone, a rotary coffee grinder does not grind food, but cuts them, which allows you to save more essential oils and juices. Therefore, this feature should be regarded as an advantage when grinding dried fruits and vegetables, as well as spices.
It should be noted that devices with knives do not allow achieving uniform grinding. On the one hand, it works well for the described operations, allowing to reveal the taste of dry fruits, but on the other hand, it is unacceptable in the preparation of infant formula, where uniformity is important. Also, this grinding method will not be beneficial when it comes to preparing coffee and coffee drinks in special machines.
Among other things, the knife grinder can be used as a blender due to the similarity to its principle of operation. The rotating knives are great for whipping puree. The basic rule is not to lay large fruits whole. It is better to pre-cut them into equal pieces.
Rotary grinder grinding rules
To maximize the benefits of a rotary mill, certain rules must be followed.
- It is necessary to work at intervals, alternately pressing and releasing the start button so as not to overburn the food.
- Do not immerse food that is too hard in the container, as the knives may become dull during the chopping process.
- Rotary coffee grinders use a single container for grinding and storing the crushed product, so care must be taken when removing the resulting substance from the machine – you can injure yourself on the blades.
- Since there is only one container, you cannot save chopped food in it, because the longer it is there, the more the smells are absorbed, and the more difficult it is to get rid of them in the future.
- The previous rule applies especially to coffee: The rotary grinder tube is leaking and unsuitable for storage, as the signature aroma disappears quickly.
- In models of this type, it is not possible to adjust the amount of the required substance at the outlet, therefore, it is better to initially place the raw materials in them in the volume that will be used immediately.
Tip: if the grinder is purchased as a multi-purpose tool, then models with replaceable blades should be considered. Ideally, buy two separate appliances, one for coffee and one for everything else.
What can be grinded in a burr coffee grinder?
At the heart of its mechanism are steel millstones that spin towards each other and grind the fruits between them. In this case, the size of the grinding depends on the distance between the millstones, as well as on the speed of their rotation.
How does the burr coffee grinder work?
There are two types of grinder depending on the type of grinder.
- Conical. Suitable for home use, as it copes with almost any food, not overheating during work and thus not “overcooking” them.
- Cylindrical. Higher class technology, suitable for professional use due to increased power. However, this is also due to breakdowns associated with overheating of the structure.
The main advantage of burr coffee grinders is the ability to fine-tune them. Manufacturers provide several modes of size, which are selected depending on the required product. Their number determines the cost of the device, but on average this figure fluctuates between 10-15 modes, which is enough for most culinary tasks.
Burr coffee grinders differ from knife grinders by the presence of two separate containers: in one, grinding takes place, and in the other, the substance is poured, brought to the desired condition. In the second container, you can save the resulting product for some time, since it closes tightly. For example, coffee can be stored for up to three weeks, provided the container is not uncorked daily. Otherwise, it is better to move it to a separate container.
Possibilities of using a burr coffee grinder
This category of devices belongs to the highest price segment, which is due to the higher productivity, as well as the ability to adjust the grinding size. It is very convenient in everyday life since such functionality realizes almost any purpose:
• grinding cereals to the state of flour;
• grinding sea salt to the desired fraction;
• grinding hard spices into powdered ones;
• chopping legumes and other fruits for further mashing.
But with the preparation of poppy for kutya, such a coffee grinder copes worse. Most recipes say that for this you must first steam the poppy seeds, and only then grind them. But the mass soaked in boiling water has a characteristic viscosity, which is why it will settle between the notches of the millstones.
Tip: Makita and makogon are best for grinding poppy seeds. This method creates an optimal consistency, preserving all the taste properties, and costs an order of magnitude cheaper than a coffee grinder.
Rules for using the burr coffee grinder
It is easier to use such a device than its knife counterpart because the work is fully automated (just press a button). At the same time, the operating rules completely exclude the use of raw and juicy products, because the rubbed mass will settle on the rubbing parts, contaminating them and making further work less effective. In this case, to clean the device, it will need to be partially disassembled. Therefore, only dry fruits are used for grinding.
What can you grind in a manual coffee grinder?
Despite the simplicity of the design and relative cheapness, the manual coffee grinder has several advantages over its electric counterparts. In comparison with them, the list of products that can be grinded in a coffee grinder other than coffee is expanded by several positions. So, it can be used to crush ice and not be afraid of breakage, since the device does not provide for the presence of a motor, into which liquid can enter and disable it.
Also, despite the warnings regarding electric clippers, the hand can be used for powdered sugar. This is since the person is slower to rotate the mechanism, which is potentially unable to heat up enough to cause the sugar grains to crystallize.
Otherwise, a manual grinder can do the same as others:
- chop vegetables and fruits;
- create a mushroom seasoning from dried mushrooms;
- grind peas to make pea soup;
- make bread crumbs.
Tip: a manual coffee grinder is relevant for all types of cereals, which will be especially appreciated by mothers who begin to introduce complementary foods into the baby’s diet.
What grind is prohibited in a manual coffee grinder?
Regardless of the cost of the device, it’s capacity, and the manufacturer, several “prohibited” products can provoke a breakdown. In particular, the use of a coffee grinder is not recommended:
- for nuts and seeds, which, due to their high-fat content, will be difficult to grind and leave oil traces on parts;
- for hard cheeses for the same reason;
- for the preparation of powdered sugar (except for the manual option);
- for products that are too hard;
- for stone fruits and berries;
- for raw products.
Can a coffee grinder be used to grind spices?
You can grind almost all spices: cardamom, all types of pepper, coriander, sesame seeds, thyme, and others. They are soft enough in structure and cannot damage the mechanism. Be careful to grind cloves and star anise. Nevertheless, it should be borne in mind that some spices have a strong aroma, therefore, after grinding, the container must be thoroughly cleaned.
Basic rules for grinding spices:
- Do not fill the container with more than 35-50% of the volume. This will help prevent sticking to cutting parts and will not place unnecessary stress on the motor.
- Before grinding spices in a coffee grinder, heat them in a dry frying pan. This will help to better reveal their taste and aroma.
Can I grind rice in my coffee grinder?
Due to the hardness of the structure, it is unsafe to grind cereals in a rotary coffee grinder, therefore it is recommended to pre-soak them (and dry them before grinding). Grinding of oatmeal and buckwheat in rotary devices is allowed.
But you can grind rice, peas, pearl barley, and hard cereals only in a millstone-type coffee grinder.
What cannot be grinded in a coffee grinder?
There is a list of products that cannot be grinded in any type of coffee grinder, regardless of modification, price, or brand.
- Nuts, peanuts, and seeds contain a lot of fat, which is released abundantly during grinding. The oily porridge will clog the parts, cover them with a hard-to-clean film.
- Sugar for powder (only possible in a handheld device).
- It is better to grind hard cheese with a grater. In the coffee grinder, it will turn into a rather greasy porridge.
- Foods that are too hard and will break knives faster than chop.
- Stone fruits and fruits.
- Raw foods (vegetables, meat, and others)
Attention: the manufacturer is only responsible for those situations that are described in the instructions. If the grinder breaks down while working with prohibited products or in violation of technology, there will be no warranty repair.
In general, it should be understood that a coffee grinder is not a universal kitchen machine, and there are more suitable appliances and devices for most operations. To avoid problems with the equipment, before using it, you must familiarize yourself with the instructions supplied by the manufacturer. It describes in detail what you can and cannot do.
Can I Grind Something Other Than Coffee In A Coffee Grinder?
Undoubtedly, you can grind in a coffee grinder anything that fits in size, but is it worth it? Please note that when grinding various cereals and spices, the knives of the appliance are saturated with all sorts of odors that will spoil the aroma of coffee. A device with interchangeable knives can solve this problem: one can be used for coffee, and the other for spices. But your best bet is to get two appliances: one for grinding coffee and one for everything else.
See also: All You Need To Know About Meat Grinders