All You Need To Know About The Placement Of The Fridge In A Niche
Usually, the refrigerator stands out against the background of other kitchen interior items, and this does not have the best effect on the harmony of the design of the room. But you want it not to stand out from the overall picture of the design of the room.
If you want to solve this problem, but are not ready to transfer the unit to a room or corridor, we suggest that you place it in a special niche. Such a partially built-in refrigerator will make the appearance of the kitchen more aesthetic, which means that it will be more pleasant to be on it.
- Pros and Cons of Placement The Fridge In A Niche
- Dimensions and design of a niche for placing a refrigerator
- How to choose a refrigerator for placement in a niche
- Rules for installing a refrigerator in a niche
- Examples in the interior of a refrigerator in a niche
Pros and Cons of Placement The Fridge In A Niche
If your kitchen has a suitable place, then you can equip a special niche in it. It is desirable to do it before finishing. To begin with, a suitable metal profile is selected, and then it is covered with drywall.
It is also allowed to arrange a door for a niche, which can have a sliding or other look. If you implement this idea correctly, you will get a design similar to built-in kitchens.
When arranging a niche, metallic refrigerators are often chosen. This color looks stylish, and its shade is easy to match with a metal oven, stove, dishwasher, and other household appliances. White refrigerators also look good in niches. Many similar interior solutions are using white cabinets.
Such a design solution as installing a refrigerator in a niche has its advantages and disadvantages. Let’s consider the advantages in more detail.
- The external arrangement of the kitchen immediately wins. Even if the refrigerator door remains the same, it will look much more organic. And if a shelf or a cabinet made in the style of kitchen cabinets is also located above it, then the room will change beyond recognition.
- After the installation in a niche, the refrigerator will make less noise.
- The influence of harmful factors on the refrigerator mechanism is minimized – dust, sunlight, pollution.
- This technique contributes to the more rational use of free space in a small room.
There are also disadvantages.
- This kitchen design option will require additional financial costs.
- Often refrigerators with an additional cooling element and increased thermal insulation (and it is better to choose such for embedding in a niche) are less economical in energy consumption.
- Loss of usable space. So that the refrigerator in the niche does not overheat, you need to leave gaps between it and the walls of the box – 5 cm on the sides and the same amount at the back. Yes, and to open the door a few centimeters at least on one side are simply necessary. In the kitchens which are small in size, this moment can arrange a niche impossible.
Dimensions and design of a niche for placing a refrigerator
The drywall niche should be larger than the refrigerator. It is better to make the height of the niche the same as the height of the kitchen cabinets. If the height of the refrigerator does not reach this mark, then here you can place cabinets of the same design as the main kitchen set.
When determining the size of a niche, you need to take into account some important points that determine how the refrigerator will work in the future.
As already mentioned, during the operation of the compressor, it heats up. As a result, different parts of the refrigerator heat up, depending on its brand. For example, for Samsung and LG, heat transfer goes through the side walls. Therefore, the unit and the niche must have a gap between the walls.
On the manufacturer’s website, you can see the minimum allowable clearances. They may differ for different models. On average, at least 5 cm is recommended on the sides.
The doors of the refrigerator must open completely, otherwise, there will be problems with access, especially to the lower drawers. To avoid this, it is necessary to increase the gap on the left side by 0.5-1 cm.
To ensure a large airflow for cooling the condenser grille, it is necessary to provide a gap of 8-10 cm between the niche and the rear wall of the refrigerator body. It is practical to put the refrigerator in a niche on the “second” floor, which is raised by 10-15 cm. In this case, the floor surface should recede 10 cm from the back wall of the niche.
The top should also be raised above the refrigerator by 10-15 cm. When installing a niche, you need to install a socket, since according to the operating conditions it is not recommended to include the unit in an extension cord.
It should be installed in such a way that when turning on / off the refrigerator there is no need to move it.
Drywall can be used to decorate the entire kitchen set, that is, it will also cover the space between the cabinets and the ceiling. Then the size of the niche will also reach the ceiling.
If there is a back wall in the niche, then a hole must be made in it for ventilation and wires connecting the unit to the outlet.
Keep in mind that two-chamber models sometimes have two wires: from the refrigerator and freezer compartments. The niche should leave gaps of at least 5 cm on the sides of the refrigerator and at the back.
How to choose a refrigerator for placement in a niche
When choosing a refrigerator model that you want to put in a niche, you need to consider some of its characteristics:
- compressor quality;
- thermal insulation;
- defrosting system;
- type of control.
Of course, when choosing a refrigerator, you must first take into account its dimensions. This indicator should be 10-20 cm larger than the size of the niche. There should also be at least 5 cm from the back of the refrigerator to the wall, otherwise, if there is a weak compressor, it will overheat and break.
In classic two-chamber refrigerators, where the freezer is at the bottom, the compressor runs constantly. When the temperature in the chamber reaches the desired level, it works less intensively and thereby preserves the life of the unit.
When the required temperature is reached, it reduces its power, which contributes to the duration of the operation of the refrigerator. Its inverter compressor is simpler than more sophisticated versions, which also has a positive effect on the life of the refrigerator.
An additional cooling element and enhanced thermal insulation should have not only refrigerators built into furniture but also refrigerators for a niche.
Models with an anti-frost system are always better than those that need to be defrosted manually. And if the refrigerator is in a niche, then all the more so, because you create it so that the refrigerator is as small as possible conspicuous. If there is an electronic control system, it should be located at the top of the refrigerator.
Rules for installing a refrigerator in a niche
When you make your choice and find a suitable place for a niche, the wall needs to be leveled and plastered. Before installing the drywall frame, mark the ceiling. On one of the walls, outline the depth of the future structure, and on the other, its width. Then make marks on the floor. Using a plumb line, move the intersection points of the lines and connect them.
Then proceed to mount the profile to the wall on the dowel nails. UW 50 profiles (50 by 40 mm) are suitable for this. Install them on the floor and ceiling. Cut out the studs and insert them into the UW rails fixed to the floor, using a spirit level to mount the corner studs. Between themselves, the profiles are fastened with self-tapping screws. The base of the niche is ready.
When making a drywall blank of the lower part, add half a centimeter to its width, and remove the excess after fixing it on the floor with a planer. Now make the side pieces. Sheathe the metal frame with drywall inside and out. Screw the ceiling piece to the upper ends of the side profiles.
Examples in the interior of a refrigerator in a niche
The arrangement of household appliances during repairs in the kitchen is a rather important and responsible process. You can diversify and decorate the interior of the kitchen in many ways, and a niche for a refrigerator is one of such solutions. The main thing is to think over the whole interior as a whole and, perhaps, an experienced designer will help you with this.
Or use our tips, study examples, and boldly implement your ideas yourself.
- A white kitchen is easily related to a plasterboard niche of the same color. A shelf was made above the refrigerator so that the overall size of the niche corresponded to the height of the cabinets.
- Often a refrigerator is placed near the entrance, and it does not look very aesthetically pleasing. If you make a niche, you will be able to hide the refrigerator, organically fitting it into the headset adjacent to it.
- In this example, we see that the space of the kitchen made it possible to allocate a whole corner of the room for a niche. After the wall was “moved” closer by installing a drywall corner, a kitchen was installed and a refrigerator was installed with neat cabinets on top. Such a niche, of course, is done before the finishing of the premises.
- In this photo, the niche has fairly dense walls, the interior looks holistic and harmonious. The niche not only hides the sides of the refrigerator but also protects it from sunlight from the window and pollution.
All You Need To Know About The Placement Of The Fridge In A Niche
So, having studied all the nuances of installing a refrigerator in a niche, you can proceed with the installation of the box. The main thing is not only to maintain the harmony of the interior but also to ensure many years of uninterrupted service of the household appliance.
A kitchen with a niche for a refrigerator is an option for those who care about the design of the room. Thanks to the niche, it is possible to fit the equipment into the existing interior and thus create a suitable atmosphere from which nothing will stand out.